Saturday, January 23, 2010

Today I saved a life.

Yes, I am a hero, OK, maybe not a superhero, but I feel like a hero because today I accomplished something I never thought possible. I donated blood!!! This may seem like a simple task to some people, but not to me. Let me explain...



All my life I've been the person that can't talk about gory, graphic or bloody things. It makes me sick, literally. I'll have to put my head between my knees so that I won't faint. I remember when I was young, having my ears pierced and trying to take out the studs for the first time. My mom said I turned white as a ghost, she had me sit down so I wouldn't faint.



It doesn't matter if it's happening to me, or to someone else. My husband recalls when we were dating, he and I were throwing the football to each other. He went out for a pass and hit some muddy grass and slid right into a short brick wall that cut his knee open. I quickly rushed to his side, only to realize that I needed to go inside and put my head between my legs. Clayton looked up in pain and asked my mom where I went and she told him I was inside with my head between my legs. I'm such a wimp!



Even after having kids my weakness has yet to subside. I remember when I had 2 kids, my oldest was 5, I cut my finger pretty bad, so bad that I knew I couldn't look at it. I hurried and wrapped it in paper towels and lied down on the floor. My sweet little London took care of me. I had to hurry and remind her about 911 and all the other emergency techniques that she might need to know. She took care of Hudson, who was 2 at the time, while I lied on the floor for 30 minutes trying to get the strength to stand up and drive myself to urgent care.



I have lots more stories like those, but I'm going to get to the point here.



I was the type of person that thought that I could never give blood, the thought of it made me sick. On top of that, I've been anemic my whole adult life and I have to take iron supplement daily, another great excuse for not donating.



But for some reason or another I decided I needed to stop making excuses and hiding behind my fears. I... was going to save lives. I was going to donate blood.



So I signed up for our Stake Blood Drive and went down this morning. I was nervous! Luckily there were some familiar faces there giving me pep talks. Someone mentioned that I would probably get sent home because of my anemia. I thought, GREAT! At least I tried.

So they call my name. I answered all 10 million of their questions and signed my life away. Then it was time to check my iron level. I wasn't too happy about it, because they had to do a finger prick. Of course my eyes were closed, but I survived. My iron level was at a 12.1, I asked the lady what that meant, she said that it needed to be at a 12.5 So I thought, GREAT, I'm outta here! Then she said, "What we can do is prick another finger, test your iron level again, and if it's at 12.5 then we can still draw your blood." So I agreed. We did another finger prick (ouch!) and we both watched the little machine anxiously waiting for my number to pop up, when what do ya know...12.5! Immediately I said loudly"Oh crap!" There was no turning back now.




So they walked me over to the donation station, which was harder then it sounds because everywhere I looked I saw blood, and stuff to do with blood. I started getting queasy, but I kept telling myself that I could do this.
The lady started doing her thing and I before you know it the donation had commenced. I can't go into too much detail for fear of me having to put my head between my knees. I did great! Right up until they pulled the needle out of me. I didn't like that so much. I spend a good 20 minutes hanging upside down their chair so I wouldn't faint. But after my juice box, pretzels and cookies, I felt like a new woman. I did it!!! I conquered my fears!!! I was a blood donor!!!

So here is my reason for this blog post. I hope that by me sharing my story I can at least inspire someone to get rid of their excuses, and just donate! Save some ones life! If I can do it ANYONE can do it. YOU too can feel like a hero!

Go Blood!

From The Lee Family

(I'd love to hear any good blood, or blood donation stories, please share) (not too graphic please!)

6 comments:

Bert and Benton said...

That is so funny! I have never given blood, too afraid, but I'm not sure why, drawing blood has never bugged me, but donating blood just seems so scary, but you've inspired me, cept, are you even allowed to donate while pregnant or nursing? It may be awhile...

Marissa Marie said...

Ha ha, I never knew the gory stuff was so tough for you! I've never given blood either, I have a similar phobia. Only recently have I been able to have a needle inserted without passing out. Maybe someday I will follow in your footsteps and save a life! When I'm as brave as you!

Julz said...

Robin I never knew this about you! Yoy would have died...when the nurse was putting my IV in when I was having Ella she kept missing and blood was spraying all over, it was awful!

Gaylene said...

Robin, You are so funny. I thought you were only afraid of bugs and spiders. :) Loved the song to go along with your Blood Heroness. :) You are always up for yummy freebie treats... so here is one... Jacob donates every 8 weeks and for every 4 pints of blood you donate you get a coupon for a free pint of ice cream at Baskin Robbins. :) So donate 3 more times this year and you can have one whole serving of ice cream for you!! :)

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO! I am like you though and dont do needles or blood or anything of the sort. I did however have to do the three hour glucose test on Monday and had my blood drawn 4 times every hour. I kind feel your victory, though I didnt save a life, I did cross out the possibility of gestational diabetes. LOL

Jenny said...

And I thought I knew you pretty well! Those conversations have not come up in all the time we've spent together??? Way to go Robin!